Categories
classrooms Features School Students

Student Opinions On The Schedule

Camas High School has changed its schedule yet again. Going from students coming in person only twice a week, to upping the student intake to four times a week. With another change to the schedule, a round of opinions from students comes along with it. So this time, what do some of these students think of the new schedule and of the number of times the schedule has changed?

Some students think that the newest schedule has been a good thing. For example, sophomore Erin Connelly said, “So far, the four days in-person schedule has been the best thing that has happened to me all year. I find it easier to focus and stay motivated in a classroom, but with the four-day schedule and long advisory block, I still get to choose exactly what I’d like to do with my time.”

Some students, on the other hand, don’t think it was the best idea to switch schedules, such as sophomore Phoebe Hawkins. She said, “I think it was a bad idea because COVID-19 cases haven’t been the best and because they changed (the schedule) right after spring break, there are more chances for them to rise. We have already had two cases this week and it’s the first week back.”

Another part of the schedule that students have been talking about is that there have been some rapid schedule changes lately. This has brought yet another flurry of opinions on whether they were necessary or not.

Some students think that the schedule has been necessary because of COVID-19 but has been confusing. Erin Connelly said, “I wish they had given a little more thought to another very quick schedule change. It was very rapid and honestly a bit unnerving to be around so many people. Still, I do prefer this to the clunky two-day schedule.”

Even though the schedule changes might be being put into place too quickly, these changes are a step closer to getting back to normal school life.

Lily Walsh said, “While I understand why some people would be frustrated with rapid changes to the schedule if we’ve learned anything this past year it’s that we must be able to adapt to new changes quickly. At the same time, I do think it’s important for teachers to understand confusion among students because sometimes it can get a little overwhelming.”

Garrett Monroe
Latest posts by Garrett Monroe (see all)

By Garrett Monroe

I am a 10th-grade student at Camas High School. I joined the journalism class because a teacher last year decided to nominate me for this class. Outside of school, I like to play Magic: The Gathering and hang out with friends online.