Categories
Humans of CHS Op-Ed Students of CHS

Op-Ed: Senior Memories

Graduation ready. CHS Senior Olivia Kitts.

I didn’t realize how relieving being a senior would be. I replayed the statement “I’m not coming back next year” over and over. The cliche pressures of high school were lifted. I stopped caring what people thought and did what was right for me. I felt older, and when I went to school I was there to learn and get stuff done rather than have fun. One of my favorite senior memories was getting to throw the IAA winter party and the Halloween party with my co-president. We spent hours on the parties, and I was so proud of what we were able to accomplish. 

Before the coronavirus, my senior year was coming to an end. I had just bought my prom dress and was planning for other upcoming events. I was dreading the stress and was ready for the end. Don’t get me wrong, I really wanted to go to prom and graduation, mostly because of the outfit shopping I would get to do. The ending came a lot quicker than I thought. This isn’t what I wanted or what anyone had planned for, but quarantine has unexpectedly changed my life for the better. 

When the Coronavirus first closed down the school I was devastated. It was hard to say goodbye. I was confused as to why I was so sad. I never loved school, but I never really hated it. I understand now that the loss of closure really hurt. However, I’m glad to close the chapter of my life, and I’m proud of what I accomplished. It’s not easy to graduate.

My high school experience came to a bittersweet ending, but it makes for a great story to tell my grandchildren. I think generation Z, especially the ones in high school right now, will forever be changed by this and will learn to appreciate what we have. I don’t recognize the unfulfilled, depressed girl who I left at CHS. Leaving high school helped me to realize who my real friends were. The alone time quarantine has granted me has helped me know myself. Saying goodbye to Camas isn’t as hard as I thought it would be. The sweet has outweighed the bitter.