Categories
Features Op-Ed Uncategorized

Class of 2020 Op-Ed: Olivia Kitts

Senior Olivia Kitts

Life is at a complete standstill for America with no end in sight. It’s hard to believe life would ever be like this. As teenagers, we’re made to go through a lot of changes and adapt in unforeseeable ways. That’s not to say this is not difficult. For me as a part of the class of 2020, this was the year our life was going to change for the better; we were going to grow up and leave high school as adults. Here I am 17 in April and I’ve already had my last day of high school. 13 years of my life gone without warning. I’m heartbroken. I wanted the one last hurrah we all saw on TV. I wanted those lifelong memories: dancing at prom, walking at graduation, assemblies, events, clubs, and yearbook signings. 

I know this is dramatic. I’m happy to be alive, and I’m happy my family hasn’t been too affected. I haven’t left my house except for the grocery store since school got canceled. I hope everyone else does too, especially teenagers. I know as teenagers with large egos we feel like nothing will ever happen to us, but we’ve got to think of the people who are at-risk. It’s possible to test positive and not have any symptoms. So stay home, stay safe and practice social distancing.

Despite the closing of schools being vital, it doesn’t make it hurt any less. Not to say I loved school and it was my favorite thing, but I wanted to say goodbye to such a huge part of my life. The momentum and excitement of leaving school behind and the upcoming celebrations are completely cut off. Standing still is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. We just have to hurry up and wait for this to all be over. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you’re a senior and would like to write an opinion-editorial piece to publish on The Camasonian, email katherine.hunting@camas.wednet.edu Please include your story and a senior photo for publication.