Categories
Features Op-Ed

Class of 2020 Op-Ed: Lily Dozier

First and foremost, when they announced school was canceled for six weeks, I was nervous and a little scared. When Governor Inslee said school was canceled for the rest of the year, it took a while for it to hit me. It was unfathomable in my mind that I had my last day of school without ever knowing it, or that I will never get to see my school friends again, at least not in the same way.

I worry about never receiving my final varsity letter for track, and I am upset that prom is canceled. I probably will not get to decorate a grad cap and toss it up in the air with my classmates. Alternative AP tests are weird, and I feel like there is no way for me to prepare properly. On top of that, my college’s orientation was canceled, meaning I will not get to see the campus until I am moving onto it.

But what’s better than dwelling on the losses is focusing on what’s unique. I still get to look forward to college in the fall and meeting all the new friends I have made. I can still FaceTime my friends and make plans for all the adventures we want to have together over the summer. Finally, I get to catch up on my hobbies that I had been neglecting for months.

I know it is important to keep a routine, so I have continued to wake up by 8:00 am every morning, and I have gone on a run or a walk almost every day. I am making scrunchies and donating the proceeds to help feed Camas students. I am finally learning Fire & Rain by James Taylor on guitar, and I am finally almost done with a book I started reading in December. As a cherry on top, I have been able to freelance a story for my favorite running publication. Of course, I miss my friends, but it’s nice to have the ability to catch up on myself, too.

I think if there is one thing seniors should remember, it is that the class of 2020 will go down in history. These are some great stories we will be able to fascinate our children with in years to come and stories our grandchildren might learn about in history or science classes. If that’s not kind of a cool long-term tradeoff, I don’t know what is.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you’re a senior and would like to write an opinion-editorial piece to publish on The Camasonian, email katherine.hunting@camas.wednet.edu Please include your story and a senior photo for publication.

One reply on “Class of 2020 Op-Ed: Lily Dozier”