Categories
Camas classrooms Get to Know

Getting to Know: Rob Kankelberg

Meet Mr. Rob Kankelberg, a Government and U.S History teacher. Mr. Kankelberg was drawn to the City of Camas and Camas High School by a college roommate who happened to be Mr. Loop. Coming to Camas High School at a time when only around 600 students were enrolled, Mr. Kankelberg was originally hired on as the theatre teacher. He answered a number of “getting to know you” style questions as part of a new series for the Camasonian “Get to Know You” that helps inform students, parents, and other staff members about teachers.

L: What got you into teaching?

RK: “I was going to be an actor, and then I did a children’s theater tour. We did a play where we worked with kids in these workshops, and I loved it. Kids had unlimited energy, and they were always positive, so that’s when I decided I was going to be a teacher; It was so much fun that I liked the workshops more than the performing.”

L: What was the first thing that caught your eye at CHS?

RK: “Two things, the size (I liked a small school) and the theatre was fabulous…For the size of the school, the theatre was gigantic”

L: What is your favorite thing about teaching?

RK: “The look I see in students’ faces when they realize something that they didn’t know before.”

L: What adjustment have you had to make throughout the years teaching at CHS?

RK: “I was the theatre teacher here for a long time, but now I’m teaching government and history.”

L: What are some of your goals this year?

RK: “I want every one of them to vote; I don’t care how they vote…I want them to realize the importance of politics, and how it affects their lives.”

One reply on “Getting to Know: Rob Kankelberg”