Categories
Features Local News School

How BMX Biking Bashes Bullying

On the first day of second semester students got to witness BMX professionals in action in the main gym. They saw tricks, flips and BMX routines during the hour-long assembly, but the purpose of the assembly had a deeper meaning and message: anti-bullying.

Courtesy: Morgan Kielty

The assembly organizers are from ASA Entertainment and came to Camas as part of their high school tour. When students were not witnessing the BMX action, the MC, Micah Kranz, spoke to students about the dangers of bullying. He presented facts about underreporting bullying, different types of bullying that can occur, and how to avoid bullying when it happens.

Associate Principal Tim Fox says ASA approached him about putting on the assembly. He liked the idea because it presented an opportunity to bring students together, especially those who may not be active participants in clubs, sports or other programs at CHS. Fox thinks the assembly did the trick. “This was the most engaged I’ve seen the students in any assembly. [It] got to some of those kids who aren’t involved in a lot.

Courtesy: Morgan Kielty

While many students enjoyed watching the BMX athletes in action, it seems the message was lost in translation for some. Audio problems prevented the intended message from being received by everyone in the packed gym. It was a struggle to get so many students into the tight space and still make room for the ramp and athletes to work. Senior Rylan Thompson said, “It was hard to hear what the guy was saying,” while freshman Katlynn Forner said, “I was wondering when the bullying part was coming.” One student even went so far as to say, “I really thought the student body was disrespectful, and the statistics went unheard.”

Although there were a few minor glitches in the assembly, it seems a lot of students got the message. Fox said he spoke with students in the main commons following the assembly and heard a lot of positive feedback. “They were able to spew out facts I didn’t even know.” Senior Josh Rule thought the assembly was “cool, and I can see where the school was going trying to connect with the kids.”

37 replies on “How BMX Biking Bashes Bullying”

A message was definitely put out as the BMX riders put on a show. Even though it was a little hard to hear from how excited we all were from the tricks. But most of us did learn a few facts about bullying.

I think that they didn’t really anyone by doing tricks on their bike. You couldn’t hear the guy so everyone missed out on that

it was a good message but i mean the guy would constantly go from talking about bullying and then pause his sentence and scream the bikers name and what trick they did.. the bullying message did not tie with the bmxers

I believe the assembly brought everyone’s attention due to the cool stunts, however, it was almost impossible to hear the man so many students didn’t know the messages and ideas offered.

I think that they didn’t really anyone by doing tricks on their bike. You couldn’t hear the guy so everyone missed out on that.

Angela Mikhalets
I really liked the assembly, I thought it was fun and an interesting start to the new semester. Although it was difficult to hear what they were trying to say and I dont understand how bmx bikers relate to ant-bullying?

The assembly was a fun experience but during the assembly I never thought of anti-bullying more of just what tricks are they going to do next.

it was amazing to watch but most of the time we didn’t hear the guy talking so basically what we understood was Bmx = awesome and Bullying= bad. i didn’t get any of the other fats he said because it was to loud.

I think it was a good attempt to get students to listen to the message of bullying. But I could not hear a word they said.

I didn’t exactly see a point in the assembly and we didn’t get relayed the anti-bullying message he was trying to relay to us cause of the distraction of the tricks and such.

This event was really cool and it was fun to watch the crazy stunts the athletes performed. Although, the tricks kind of took away from the main premise of the whole thing. It was extremely difficult to hear the speaker and what he said throughout but the message was still received for the most part. Nonetheless, a great experience!

This whole assembly idea was really quite interesting. It makes sense to give us something to look at. I think if a man just came in and spewed facts about bullying, most kids wouldn’t care much and just talk among themselves. It was also nice of the school to do this rather than just have some guy do it.

It was hard to hear the statistics. I think the main speaker cared more about the bikes rather than the bullying statistics.

I thought the assembly was very entertaining and fun to watch. I believe that the information that was presented was good information it was just at times hard to hear. Over all the assembly was a good alternative to a typical informative assembly.

This assembly was not successful in what they wanted to achieve. We couldn’t hear anything they where saying, they lightly touched on the anti bullying concept. They talked about the bikers backgrounds just as much as they talked about they talked about anti-bullying. I also dont believe that anyone was paying attention to the man in the middle talking they where paying attention to the bikers.

I feel as though many focused on the bikers tricks rather than the message of anti-bullying he was trying to portray.

It was difficult to hear over my pears cheering for the athletes, but it was interesting and the speaker helped with the review of types of bullying.

I agree with all the previous comments. I see why they would think that having people do cool bike tricks would get the students to be more involved in learning about bullying. However, I think it did the exact opposite. I feel like nobody paid attention to what the speaker was saying. Also, it was way to loud so nobody could hear him.

It was very confusing, I feel like it would have been for effective (but boring) to just have someone talk about bullying. The tricks were unnecessary and I would have rather been in class.

I think that some students were a little disrespectful by being so loud and it was hard to hear a lot of the statistics. Other than that, the assembly was interesting.

I Understand the message of anti-bullying, but I did not get that at all from the assembly. All I saw was just tricks, and you could not understand the guy talking.

I think it was a fun assembly, but didn’t really get the anti-bullying point across. The reason is you couldn’t hear the guy talking because it was to loud and there was to many thing going on.

I believe that when he was speaking it was very hard to hear, many of the students around me were very loud drowning out the sound. I’ve heard many people talk about what he actually did say about how bullying can be prevented, since they were closer to the speaker.

I do think a lot of the message went overhead because of the tricks, a lot of people wanted the focus to be on anti-bullying instead of on cool tricks.