With the latest technology making it simple to send a single “hey” text to five different friends at once, card crafting is now a lost art. Spring is just around the corner and with it a fresh start. Now is the time to break out those creative skills and create this beautiful watercolor background card.
- Dye inks or watercolors
- Large, soft paint brushes
- Sentiment Stamp
- Acrylic block
- Watercolor paper
- Plastic bag
- Glass with water
- Tape down your plastic bag to your work surface. This step is not required but helps with the cleanup process.
- Decide on the color of your background. Using your brush, mix a large amount of water into the color you decided on.
- Trim down your watercolor paper to the size of the card. A typical card is 4 1/4” by 5 1/2”.
- Clean off your brush then using plain water, make wide strokes across your paper to dampen the surface. This will make the color dry smoother.
- Pick up the watercolor using the brush and using the same strokes as before, begin painting the background on your card.
- When you are done, allow the paper to dry completely before stamping on your sentiment.
- Attach you sentiment to your acrylic block and using a dye, pigment, hybrid, or distress ink stamp the sentiment onto your card.
- Add embellishments to your desire or leave the card simple.
- Choose any sentiment to match the occasion of the card.
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes. A handmade item rarely does not have a mistake on it.
- For an ombre effect, layer the watercolor heavily at the bottom and less at the top or use colors in the same color group.